A thesis is assigned between the 3rd and 8th semester at the university departments and clinics and non-University (e.g. VUVeL – Veterinary Research Institute, MZLU – Mendel University of Agriculture and Forestry in Brno, etc.). However, the supervisor department must be a department or a clinic of the UVS in Brno.
A student who wants to enrol for a Diploma thesis shall submit a request (containing the title of the Thesis, a brief proposal of the method used, the supervisor's name and permission, and the supervisor department head) to the Dean of the faculty for approval. The student shall put the approved thesis title and supervisor name in the study record book. By doing so, the diploma thesis becomes an obligatory study duty completed with a credit procedure for the individual semesters (awarded by the supervisor) and with a defence in the 6th year in the presence of the Committee for the Diploma thesis defence incorporated in the State Examination (the overall value accredited to diploma thesis writing equals 300 hours of practical training).
The supervising department shall provide for the experimental section of the Thesis. The financial funds can also be acquired from the Internal Grant Agency of the UVS, where the full-time student can be a project worker.
The student shall work on an experimental project or clinical study containing new findings based on original data.
- The Thesis shall have the usual division of a scientific paper, i.e.:
Example: WITTER K., MÍŠEK I. 1999: Time programme of the early tooth development in the domestic sheep (Ovis aries, Ruminantia). Acta Vet. Brno 68: 3-8 appendixes.
The Diploma thesis size is not strictly set, but it should not be less than 30 pages (spacing 1.5 or 2, type size 12).
- The student shall submit the final version of the Diploma thesis in 3 print-outs accompanied by the supervisor review in the 6th week of the 10-week "state examination segment" at the latest when they will defend their Thesis.
- The Dean appoints the opponent who shall assess the Diploma thesis. The defence session takes place in the presence of The Committee of the Diploma Thesis Defence as one partial State Examination. The Dean shall appoint this Committee in accordance with the rules pro appointing State Examination committees.
- After the student submits their Thesis, the opponent's review must be available to them 5 days before the defence at the latest.
- If there is a severe discrepancy between the supervisor and opponent reviews, the Dean shall appoint another opponent. They shall, however, consider both opponents' reviews.
The supervisor (has no vote) and the opponent shall participate at the Diploma Thesis Defence in the presence of the approved Committee. The opponent has the right to vote when they are appointed a defence committee member.